Thursday, July 10, 2008

A Not So Minor Car Wreck

Ok, so remember this post? Yeah well .... I thought I was sad for my car then.


Last night on my way to work, I was in a pretty serious car accident. A car rear ended me at approximately 50mph. I was sitting at a stop light. The impact pushed me up under the car in front of me. It was the loudest, scariest, most traumatic 2 seconds of my life. I was in a fairly bad part of town at the time and having not seen the car coming at me, I honestly wondered for a second if I had been shot before I realized I had been in a car accident. That whole life flashing before your eyes thing is so true. I remember clearly having this split second thought of whether or not I would ever see The Husband and my precious kids again. After a quick self assessment, I realized I had no serious injuries .... but my poor little Jetta (which the kids and I call "Gretchen" - she is German afterall) .... did not come out of it so well.

I wish I had pics of the car that rear-ended me. It shows damage that is more indicative of the seriousness of the accident. My car, being top rated in safety, held it together quite nicely. Still, it seems according to preliminary opinions that Gretchen is totalled. Ugh.

Oh well, Gretchen is a thing and as we all know ... things can be replaced. I am so grateful to be unharmed .... and by the way, there were NO serious injuries for any involved parties. The driver of the car that hit me from the back went to jail. She appeared to be under the influence of some sort of alcohol or drug. I can't stop thinking of her as I know she sits in jail .... she looked like she has led a rough life. Please keep her in her prayers. I know God can use this event to turn her life around. I will gladly offer up the sacrifice of Gretchen if it means this lady can get her life together.

Ok, here are a few pics. The body of the car is twisted which is hard to appreciate in the pics. That is the reason it seems it may be a total loss. The damage looks so much worse in person when you can see the rippling in the body on the left side. The doors are jammed and hard to open on the left side of the car but not the right. Is is a mess.


Oh yeah ... and the one funny part - icky but funny - I happened to be enjoying a strawberry/banana shake on my way to work. It was EVERYWHERE in my car. EWWWW. I had to take a few pics of that too. Fancy thought I had thrown up after the accident.
This is what a LOT of the inside of my car looks like:

I am moving around like an old lady today .... quite stiff, back hurts a bit, headache, blah blah blah. Mostly I am just thankful.

One last thing: Thanks so much KK for your thoughtful gift today! What a great friend!


No comments: